- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1-1/2 cups Splenda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 12 egg whites
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 2 pints fresh strawberries
- 1/4 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/3 cup water
- No-calorie sweetener to taste
Optional toppings: Light whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream
- For the cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift flour, salt, cream of tartar and Splenda together. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites, water, and vanilla until soft peaks form. Gently fold dry ingredients into whipped egg whites. Fold until just incorporated. Carefully pour batter into an UN-greased 10 inch tube pan. Bake for 35 – 40 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick in the center comes out clean. Completely cool before serving (cake will dry out if you cut into it too soon). Wrap individual slices in plastic wrap and store in the fridge or freezer for easy portion control.
- For the strawberries: Combine fruit, zest, and 1/3 cup water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and cook uncovered over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes. The juice will become a syrup and the berries will be slightly cooked. Add sweetener to taste if it’s still not sweet enough for you. Serve hot or room temperature. Store in the fridge in a tightly sealed container.
- To serve: Cut the cooled cake into 12 slices. Plate a slice and top with stewed strawberries. Top with light whipped cream topping or a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a candle if you’re celebrating a birthday (like me)!
74 cal, 0 g fat, 0 mg chol, 98 mg sodium, 17 g carb, 1 g fiber, 5 g pro.
Brought to you by – The Skinny on Low Cal.com